I am a single mom and would like to move to Boston.

Additional Information:

I would like to move to Boston where my new husband will be. I have a 1 and a half year old whose father rarely sees her and there is no child support order. I told him I wouldn’t take him for support because he is already paying $1000 month for another child. (He and I were never married.) What do I need to do as far as custody rights so that we can move to Boston?


I am sorry that you are going through this and I hope that your new relationship works out. Right now since there is no child support or paternity issue and you are not in court, there is nothing legally stopping you from moving. If however, there was a court action started by him or by you prior to your move and prior to you establishing jurisdiction in Massachusetts then you may have an issue. I suggest that since he hardly sees the child and there is no court order you plan your move as quietly and as quickly as possible. The longer you stay in MA the better chance you have of everything working out. If you live here for one year, you may establish jurisdiction. Take care. 

The Greater Boston Divorce and family Law attorneys at Lewis Leeper provide legal representation in the area of divorce, and family law in the Greater Boston area including the towns and communities of: Ashland, Brookline, Dover, Framingham, Natick, Needham, Newton, Sherborn, Sudbury, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, and Westwood.

Categories: Divorce Q&A.