How long will I need to spend in divorce court on the first date?

I have heard stories that you can spend all day in court and who will watch my children?

It appears that you will be in Norfolk Probate court. On your first appearance most likely you will be sent to family services/probation dept, that is on the third floor, there you will check in and a probation officer will meet with you to discuss what you are there for and to help resolve the issues and minimize the matters before the judges so that the judges are not overwhelmed. So, the earlier you get there and the more prepared you are the faster you will be called. We ensure that our clients have their financial statements fully prepared, an envelope for the court typed and the initial intake that is required filled out, if your husband’s attorney is equally prepared then the variable is the line, first in first called, if everyone is equally prepared, so my goal is to make sure we are there early, check in and have all the doc’s prepared and any motions you may want to present, meaning any thing you want to ask for, such as temp support etc, then find your husband or his attorney and get them to check in, when both parties have checked in and supplied all the docs then they will call your case and sometimes you can stipulate, then you go to the court. Most of my clients are out before lunch, the variable is the other side, as I am always prepared and if necessary I help the other side prepare to save you time and money in court.

Our  Wellesley divorce attorneys serve the Boston, Massachusetts, area from offices in downtown Boston, and the Boston Metrowest offices in Framingham and Dover. Our clients come to us from communities such as Acton, Arlington, Ashland, Braintree, Cambridge, Canton, Concord, Dedham, Dover, Framingham, Hopkinton, Holliston, Hudson, Lexington, Lincoln, Marlborough, Maynard, Medfield, Milton, Millis, Natick, Needham, Newton, Norwood, Southborough, Sudbury, Quincy, Walpole, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, Westwood, and all other towns in Middlesex County, Norfolk County, Essex County and Suffolk County.

Categories: Divorce Q&A.