How do I start the divorce process?

You file the Complaint for Divorce and other documents at the court. If there is an Affidavit of Indigency, the clerk will approve it and stamp it, and give you a copy. You will also get a Domestic Relations Summons. Arrange for the sheriff to give a copy of the complaint to the spouse. When the sheriff does this, it is called “service of process,” meaning that the sheriff has served the papers to the spouse.

Before trial, either party may request that the court make temporary orders, for example concerning custody, child support, or visitation. Either party must request a pre-trial conference, and then there is a final hearing, the trial.

It is important to consult with an experienced Massachusetts divorce attorney. Call us for to schedule a consultation.

Categories: Divorce Q&A.