Ensuring Telephone Contact

If the other parent is denying you telephone contact with your children, there are some things you can do to facilitate contact with your children.

Consider getting an 800-number for your children to call you on. An 800-number is not very expensive to have installed, and it allows your children to call you from any phone at any time, night or day. 800-numbers almost always provide detailed billing records of the call history, which may prove valuable later in court. If your ex claims (for example) that you “never speak with the children”, you can use the billing records to disprove this.

Find out if you can arrange to call your child at school or at a friend’s home. This may take some planing to arrange, but is often well worth the trouble to be able to speak to your children without your ex present. Many children are understandably reluctant to speak to the non-custodial parent when the custodial parent is hovering nearby or perhaps even listening in. A sympathetic school counselor or teacher can be a big help in getting calls through to your child at school.

If the child is old enough (and responsible enough), consider getting them a cell phone. Cell phone calling-plans are available that limit the number of minutes used so that you don’t get stuck with an enormous bill. There are also calling-plans that allow unlimited minutes between family members. Even without a custom calling-plan, you can control usage through the phone itself- most of the newer phones can be ‘locked’ so that they will only accept incoming calls, or only dial out to a specific number. Contact a local wireless provider for more information.

Make sure your child knows your phone number- make a game of memorizing and dialing it with him or her until the they know the number. Make sure your child understands that he or she can call you any time and that you’ll be there for them. Just having your number memorized could let them to get help in an emergency, and that’s reason enough for them to memorize your phone number.

Categories: Divorce Articles.